Monday, November 17, 2014

Squirrel Time

The squirrels like to eat the food in the bird feeder.  The birds are usually gone when they visit the feeder, but I figure It's time they had their own feeders.  Especially now there is snow on the ground.  The birds have already been by the feeder to see if there are any treats, so I put out some sunflower seeds for them to nibble.  Now I need to set up something for the squirrels.  

I searched the web for a few ideas for feeders, some were really cute, most made from wood, some use a glass jar and have it go into a wood house, but I am going for something I can make with what I have around the house.  I am going to recycle a 2 liter bottle and attach it to a thin board and screw it to a post we happen to have in the yard already.  

Food options are plenty.  Bags of dried corn are sold fairly cheap; $7-9 per 100 pound bag in some areas, may differ in other areas.  Corn is still a popular treat for squirrels; want to add some variety, well use nuts.  One person puts out something different every couple days using nuts in the shell, like peanuts, or walnuts, as well as seeds and fruit.    

I look forward to watching the squirrels enjoy their own food stash this winter.  Plus I get to work a project with my children.  Its a win win situation!


No comments:

Post a Comment